For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Felton Training Group a branch of The Felton Training Group Inc., is dedicated to providing the highest quality self defense training at the most affordable prices for the state of Idaho. We strongly believe in helping citizens gain the power to successfully defend themselves. All of our instructors are nationally certified with years of experience teaching.


Iowa permit is valid in 34 states!

Our video based gun safety course, even goes over firearm laws in IA in regards to your right to carry.

In Iowa, we have what's called professional and nonprofessional carry permits. Professional permits only apply for those who carry a firearm for work related purposes such as security guards, private investigators, private security members, bank messengers, corrections officers, peace officers, or other persons whose job reasonably justifies that person going armed. Nonprofessional permits are for those whose carrying is for self defense and matters unrelated to one's profession. Here's more information on how to acquire your weapons license. 

Both professional and nonprofessional permit applications can be found here:

The training requirements in the state of Iowa for professional and nonprofessional carry permits are as follows:

***** Note: Our Class Meets and EXCEEDS the State requirements for training in Iowa. Our video course even goes over firearm laws in Iowa in regards to carrying, firearms in the car, home, businesses, etc, as well as the excact process for obtaining the permit!*****

Click Take The Course to Get Started!

724.9 Firearm training program

1. An applicant shall demonstrate knowledge of firearm safety by any of the following means:
a. Completion of any national rifle association handgun safety training course.
b. Completion of any handgun safety training course available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, community college, college, private or public institution or organization, or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the national rifle association or the department of public safety or another state's department of public safety, state police department, or similar certifying body.
c. Completion of any handgun safety training course offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement or security enforcement agency approved by the department of public safety.
d. Completion of small arms training while serving with the armed forces of the United States as evidenced by any of the following:
(1) For personnel released or retired from active duty, possession of an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions.
(2) For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the national guard or reserve components of the armed forces of the United States, possession of a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and qualification.
e. Completion of a law enforcement agency firearms training course that qualifies a peace officer to carry a firearm in the normal course of the peace officer's duties.
2. Evidence of qualification under this section may be documented by any of the following:
a. A photocopy of a certificate of completion or any similar document indicating completion of any course or class identified in subsection 1.
b. An affidavit from the instructor, school, organization, or group that conducted or taught a course or class identified in subsection 1 attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant.
c. A copy of any document indicating participation in any firearms shooting competition.
3. An issuing officer shall not condition the issuance of a permit on training requirements that are not specified in or that exceed the requirements of this section.

[C79, 81, §724.9 ]
2010 Acts, ch 1178, §7, 19
2010 amendment to section takes effect January 1, 2011; 2010 Acts, ch 1178, §19
Section stricken and rewritten

QUESTION: Is range qualification a part of the mandatory training requirements for a new Iowa professional or nonprofessional permit to carry weapons?

ANSWER: No. Range qualification may be part of a training program identified above; however, range qualification is not a mandatory element of training for initial issuance of a permit.

QUESTION: Can there be additional training requirements imposed by the Iowa Department of Public Safety or a Sheriff's Office for a new or renewal Iowa professional or nonprofessional permit to carry weapons?

ANSWER: An issuing officer cannot impose additional training requirements in excess of those identified in SF 2379"

Iowa Traveling/Reciprocity Information

QUESTION: I live in another state. Will Iowa honor my concealed weapon permit issued in another state?

ANSWER: Iowa will honor any valid carry permit issued by any other state and will grant all privileges to such permit holders as those granted to Iowa residents including the concealed or open carrying of a firearm (excluding those classified by Iowa law as offensive weapons (federal NFA or Class 3)) and the concealed carrying of other non-firearm dangerous weapons such as knives with blades in excess of five inches, switchblade knives, Tasers/stun guns, or any other dangerous weapon. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may be carried openly without a permit. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may also be regulated by local ordinance that is more stringent than Iowa law. You do not have to be a resident of the state from which your permit was issued. However, an Iowa resident may only carry with an Iowa issued permit.

QUESTION: My state requires a reciprocity agreement before it can recognize an out-of-state permit. Will Iowa enter into such a reciprocity agreement?

ANSWER: No. Iowa law does not provide for entering into reciprocity agreements with states that require them. Iowa will honor any valid permit issued in any other state. Prepared by the Iowa Department of Public Safety Version 3.0, November 5, 2010 3

QUESTION: Will Iowa publish a list of states whose permits will be honored, and will Iowa publish a list of states that will honor the Iowa permit?

ANSWER: No. Iowa will honor any valid permit issued by any other state. Iowa permit holders will need to check with other states to determine if their Iowa permit will be honored in that state.

Click Take The Course to Get Started!

In Polk county, you may apply for the permit online after completing the course here:


Check out our home page for our awesome guarantees.

Does your state not recognize the Iowa permit? Check out the Virginia permit as its covered by 36 states.

US Law Shield